Friday, October 5, 2007

The dance goes on

O.K., it is a challenge to work out all angles of a dance piece. I have considered the seemingly simple: costume, dance phrases, dance motifs.... but now I am deep in the thralls of figuring out the minutia of every decision and every moment the dancer is involved with in the piece! I LOVE IT!!!

A special thanks goes out to my dancers for all of their input as to what they are experiencing and to Rachel, Celeste, Kim, Gina and Lauren for taking extra time to discuss the inner workings of the piece. A choreographer tends to face the challenge of creating and figuring out a dance piece alone. I am fortunate to have had the interest and involvement of my dancers and also the feedback from fellow choreographers Karen Krolak, Ruth Bronwen and Tommy Neblett to help bring out the essence of my new piece, "The Council".

I have added a new section that is a solo involving dancer, Lauren Tymon and I have added 3 sections of fencing to add a metaphor and a literal sense of being caged (by emotion, fear, power, people).

Now I have to make the fences!! Our show goes opens in 1 week. HA!

No comments: