Friday, August 31, 2007

The Character of Human Paint

I am reminded of the humanitarian element of being an artist in the neatest ways, and I have my Boston dancers to thank.

This past Monday evening before the informal showing at Green Street Studios, I presented my latest work in progress focusing on internalized racisms. The showing is a part of the Space Grant that I received from Green Street Studios in Cambridge and is mentored by Tommy Neblett of Boston's Prometheus Dance Company. The showing allowed me to show off my work and get feedback from the other 2 choreographers, who received the same Space Grant as I, as well as Tommy Neblett.

As a dance artist, the medium I use is the human body. This requires me as an artist to consider/involve not just the body, but also the other elements of the human (emotion, intellect, experiences, etc). A painter learns the characteristics of her/his paint and how to manipulate that media. In doing so, the artist decides what type of paint to use (acrylic vs. oil) and how it will interact with the canvas. As a result, the relationship that an artist develops with her/his media reveals the achievement of desired results or effects through the art making process.

My dancers performed at the showing on Tuesday and demonstrated the commitment they made to the process determined by the Space Grant and to me as the artist. They are not paid for any of this and willingly volunteer their time and artistry. I consider each of my dancers an artist and they present their individual talents/skills/emotion/intellect through the dance piece that I am creating. I was thrilled when I received comments from 2 of them, after the showing, stating that I would have been proud of their performance (I was unable to attend the showing because of a work conflict). That statement and the commitment they made at the beginning of the summer reveal the human relationship that I have with my media--my dancers. I say, "My dancers".

Thank you dancers for believing in the work and making up the strong community we have through Andary Dance Boston. The piece that I am working on requires each of you equally. Your investment, hard work, brilliance and artistry move me and I really cherish this time with each one of you.

I present the piece in concert at Green Street Studios on October 12/13, 2007. It will be that moment that I experience fully my desired results and effects through this new (still untitled) piece focusing on the osmosis of Racism, Sexism, Heterosexism, Ageism, etc and the appropriation of those -isms.

No comments: